Re: [2.2.5] Strange Zip/VFAT problems

Robert Cardell (rbt@mtlb.co.uk)
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 01:17:02 +0000

Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Robert.
>
> [Quote from me deleted...]
>
> I use the following line with my ATAPI Zip-250 drive:
>
> /dev/hdd4 /zip auto noauto,user 0 0
>
> Note that the 'user' implies noexec and nosuid so those do not need
> stating as well. The only difference is the use of 'auto' instead of
> 'vfat' in the media type field, which allows me to use ext2 and vfat
> disks interchangably.

Yeah, I was typing that from memory...hang on, I think I can telnet into
one of them from here - give me a moment...

<type, type, click, click...>

Here we are:

/dev/hdc4 /zip vfat nosuid,noauto,user 0 0

That's more like it.
> [Me whinging about problem deleted...]
>
> > As far as I can tell, they're running the stock RH6.0 kernel,
> > 2.2.5. But before I run to the admin and pester him to do
> > cluster-wide kernel upgrades, I have to ask - is this a known
> > (and fixed) kernel bug? Or is the problem likely elsewhere? Has
> > anyone else even seen this?
>
> The only thing that comes to mind is that the one supplied with RH 6.0
> was 2.2.5-15 and there were supposed to be some important changes in
> the update that was released as 2.2.5-22 so you may wish to suggest to
> them that they upgrade to the later RPM.

Just gone to Red Hat's site and looked - the problems it fixes seem to
be security-related - I'll suggest it anyway.

> Another option would be to upgrade to RH 6.1 which uses 2.2.12 as its
> base kernel, and that shouldn't be hard.

Hmmm... might be too big a step for them...a whole distribution
upgrade...

> The best option of all would be to download the 2.2.13 kernel tarball
> and compile a custom kernel for those machines. However, if they've
> only just started with Linux, they may be unwilling to do that.

I'll see if I can't talk the admin into it. The main problem is that
he's a lecturer most of the time, and an admin on the side, but he's
enthusiastic, and I think he can be accomodating.

> Best wishes from Riley.
Taken with gratitude, and returned with, um, something nice...

Robert Cardell
<rbt@mtlb.co.uk>