Re: : Need info about serial port programming -UPDATE

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 00:16:47 +0100

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 03:11:46PM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> > The bottom line is that this is a broken design/architecture; this
> > kind of sampling really should be done in hardware. The problem is
> > that this appears to be some kind of school project, with artificial
> That's right.. I would have used a proper sound card but our subject
> is "Sound recording and analysis in hardware" and the PC was
> originally supposed to be only for displaying the samples. (Now we use
> Exactly; and if it is recording and analysis in *hardware*, the hardware
> should have a buffer where it records 100-200 samples, and then you have

Can you think of a relatively simple way to do this? I would very much like
to do it, but I think it is a little overkill for our time frame.

> the computer collect the sample once a second. By having the computer
> sample under software control, you're adding RT constraints, and it
> really is not a great design.

No. It actually isn't supposed to be great design... it doesn't have to
look pretty. It just has to produce _some_ results quickly (they don't even
need to be very accurate), so that we can present something.

Sorry if you thought this was a serious big-scale project =;)

> I would be glad if there was. Otherwise we would have to do it in DOS
> and I have no initiative to start fiddling with interrupts and IO
> adresses.
> ... or RT Linux, which still force you to use direct UART access, but at
> least you'll have all of the amenities of Linux

I don't think we have time to learn RTLinux. It would probably be easier to
put a buffer IC (is there such a thing? between RS232 and A/D chip, or to
use a MAX232 (RS232 protocol) chip.

Do you have any experience in that direction? How do modems do this
(buffering or do they rely solely on RS232 communication?)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

Windows NT indeed has very low Total Cost of Ownership. Trouble is, Microsoft _owns_ Windows NT. You just licensed it.