Re: Memory based kernel crash dump

almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:15:23 +0100

David Winchell wrote:
> I have been working on a kernel crash dump that does not rely on the
> disk subsystems during the crash. Instead, the crash is saved in memory
> at crash time and then saved to a file on the subsequent boot.

Excellent. This is, IMNSHO, exactly how crash dumps should be done on
the x86 architecture. I've tried a similar approach a few years ago,
using LILO to do the saving. If you can get all this done reliably
without special support from the boot loader, that's even better.
(BTW, my attempts failed miserably, because I didn't know how prevent
the BIOS to clear memory.)

- Werner