Re: Need info about serial port programming -UPDATE

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:37:01 -0500

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:33:02 +0100 (MET)
From: R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff)

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> Even if you're onlysampling at a rate of ~500 Hz or so, you probably
> want to do this using RT Linux, using a kernel module, and hitting the

The question is wether he needs the RT aspects. I had understood that
he can CLOCK(*) the device. So as long as he's doing the toggeling at the
right average speed, everything is fine.

But he need to do sound sampling at speeds "under 1000 Hz". The moment
another process gets a chance to run, it won't be toggling the DTR line
any more..... since he needs to clock the things at speeds well faster
than the standard Linux clock, I'd say yes, he needs to use RT Linux.

The bottom line is that this is a broken design/architecture; this kind
of sampling really should be done in hardware. The problem is that this
appears to be some kind of school project, with artificial design
constraints. Given that we generally don't optimize for broken
designs, we shouldn't be surprised if there isn't a good way to do this
using standard Linux interfaces.

- Ted