Re: 2.3.27 always keeping 15M free?

William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:37:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, William Stearns wrote:

> I've got a P90 laptop with 40M *1. Somewhere between 2.3.24 and
> 2.3.27-final the kernel started keeping 15M or more free all the time.
> On a 40M laptop that makes a big difference. *smile*
[snip]
> What kinds of things could I do to help track this down? I'll
> start off by going back to an older kernel and figure out where the

2.3.26 does not suffer from this; free memory is down to 1.4M,
right about where I'd expect it.
I'm reasonably certain 2.3.27-pre6 _did_ have this problem as
well.
Cheers,
- Bill

"If the entire earth, land and water, were covered with computers,
IPv6 would allow 7x10^23 IP addresses per square meter. [...] While it
was not the intention to give every molecule on the surface of the earth
its own IP address, we are not that far off."
-- Tannenbaum, _Computer_Networks_, 3rd Edition
(Courtesy of Joseph Pingenot <jap3003@ksu.edu>)