Re: Need info about serial port programming -UPDATE

Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:56:25 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Jens Benecke wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 06:53:00PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > serial port, which makes me kind of sick. It seems that there is no
> > > thought of a standard serial RS232 handshake protocol.
> > Take the soldering iron and insert it somewhere educational for them 8)

I had to make a serial transceiver that would do 120 kBYTES per second.
I had to rip bytes into bits and also generate a clock. Two pins on
the 'printer' port is all you need. It isn't pretty, but it works.

Receive 'latched' the 'paper-out' bit on the printer-status interrupt.
(old printer-port, one-way). This worked. It was decided to do this
when it was discovered that the 8250 UART was clocked-internally on
the baud-rate so that RTS/DTR would never change fast enough.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).