Re: linux interrupt handling problem

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:41:02 -0700

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 11:27:45AM +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:
> > Since people do have realtime audio editing systems runing on RTLinux, I'd
> > be curious to understand what makes it impossible.
>
> I didn't say it's impossible. But RTLinux has its disadvantages, that you
> have too much of the realtime part at the kernel level and so losing
> advantages of the unix system.

It's quite simple to connect Linux non-rt processes to RT tasks and
handlers in RTLinux. In fact, the entire purpose of RTLinux is to make
the "unix system" accessible to the RT layer.
However, we do not do what Solaris and other operating systems do, which
is "integrate" the realtime into the rest of the kernel by slowing down
the rest of the kernel and making the realtime part not realtime.