Re: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:17:16 +0300 (MSK)

In <Pine.LNX.3.95.991110182503.30460A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Michael Nelson wrote:

>> > If NT really does what you describe... Well, small wonder that it's so
>> > bloated.
>>
>> As far as I know, Chkdsk, the FS-specific checking DLLs, etc... are all
>> user mode code. I don't know what mechanism Jeff is referring to re: auto
>> invoking chkdsk on volume mounts, so I can't say how that's accomplished
>> (probably makes a callback to user mode to invoke the utilities).
>>
>> -mike
>>

> Windows, here, both 95 and NT just do a chkdsk upon startup. Windows
> doesn't have the notion of "mount". Maybe Win-2000 will have, but
> nothing I've seen yet does.

What you are saying ? OF COURSE 9X & NT HAS mount syscall. There are no
mount utility, it's right, but mount syscall is there. And it will return
to you is chkdsk/scandisk is needed (that is driver was not unmounted cleanly).
Just like in Linux. The only difference is that you can mount something only
on drive letter and not in directory...

> ---and, if the file-system can't be repaired, you just lose everything
> and re-install windows, sometimes even if it was repaired. It depends
> upon the "service-pack" number and the alignment of planets.

Just like in case with Linux :-))