Re: kiobuf using kernel pages

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:42:19 +1100

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:56:23 +0000 (GMT),
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> Trying to port the SGI lcrash code to 2.3.26 ix86. It compiles, runs,
>> traps the oops, starts writing the dump to swap, dies with -EFAULT in
>> sd_raw_rw. My guess is because the buffer address is c2c00000, i.e. I
>
>Firstly if your machine has crashed I wouldnt recommend invoking the scsi
>disk layer. If your partition info is corrupt or the scsi malloc pool is
>corrupt you could hit anything.

Agreed. But SGI have gone to the bother of writing a free standing,
raw i/o SCSI system to "handle" dumps even when the machine has
crashed, using a pre formatted swap partition. I am not convinced
myself if it is safe or not, only experience will show. Their patch is
only against 2.2.13, I'm porting it to 2.3.26 for testing.