Re: linux interrupt handling problem

Roman Zippel (zippel@fh-brandenburg.de)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:24:21 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

On 10 Nov 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Disks are unpredictable when it comes to that, if you want real time
> audio editing or video editing for that sake, you either want to go
> with a hard real time system (like RTLinux) which can guarantee
> service of the devices in question or you want to seriously over power
> your system to make it a 99.99% chance it will be able to keep up.

You don't know RTLinux, right? It has only very limited IO capabilities.
For normal realtime IO you only need to average bandwight and behaviour of
a disk, realtime system don't need to be a high availablity system. A
hard failure is an exception that must be detected but not necessary
handled.

> If RTLinux is too limited for your specific hard real time purpose,
> maybe it was better to fix that than to try and turn the generic
> kernel into an RT one.

What I want is better perfomance and response times, what you not only
want to have in the realtime world. It's not a hard problem, then to
optimize the kernel for server or multimedia purposes.

bye, Roman