Re: kiobuf using kernel pages

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:00:31 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> The _whole_ point about kiobufs is that they contain pages of
> kernel-addressable memory, without _any_ information about where those
> pages came from.

i believe this is not generic enough. Eg. my box was already doing DMA to
pages which were never-ever mapped into kernel-space. We do not need to
_access_ page contents to do DMA to it, this is where the 'virtual
address' assumption breaks.

(the basic kiobuf concept and approach is of course correct and cool, it's
just these issues we need to discuss before the kiobuf interface is pushed
into drivers in a largescale way.)

-- mingo