Re: APM killing low-latency performance on BX mainboard (we need a method to disable it dynamically)

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 02:50:14 +0100

On Wed, Nov 10 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:
> I discovered a small (but easy to correct) problem:
>
> by default ATAPI CDROM driver run with DMA , unmaskirq and 32bit I/O
> all three disabled. You can tune this using
> hdparm -d 1 -u 1 -c 1 /dev/hdc or so , but the problem is that
> you can't do this when there is no CD in the drive.

That's the _old_ O_NONBLOCK bug again. The distros should
fix hdparm - there's nothing preventing your from changin
parameters without a disc in the drive.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer