RE: Reiserfs licencing - possible GPL conflict?

David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:23:35 -0800

Let's look at what he says:

> Reiserfs is hereby licensed according to the Gnu Public License,

I presume he means the _General_ Public License. Note that the GPL's own
copyright terms prevent it from being used except to distribute software
under it.

> but with the following special terms:

Now watch what he does here.

> you may not integrate it
> into any kernel (or if not added to a kernel, into any software
> system) which is not also a GPL kernel (software system)

This is already prohibited by the GPL. In fact, most of the difference
between GPL software and PD software is that GPL software may not be
integrated with non-GPL software.

> without
> obtaining from Hans Reiser an exception to this license.

And he's willing to sell exceptions.

> David,
>
> This is not what it says. but its his code, and he can do whatever he
> likes with it.
>
> Jeff

I read it again, it says that it's distributed under the GPL, and he's
willing to sell exceptions to allow it to be integrated with proprietary
kernels.

DS