Re: Kernel related StarOffice 5.1a problem

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 00:52:14 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

>Its a broken application, it opens a file that does not exist. Now it

I agree the old semantic is not nice. But it had none underlying problem
and there was software depending on it. After all /proc is special anyway
and I believe there's no standard enforcing rules on it ;).

My only point that the `not nice' argument is not strong enough to break
it in 2.2.x.

>gets an error indicating a file does not exist. Getting a valid handle
>is a bug in my book. If it bugs you emacs their binary and change the
>format string.

Ehh, not so easy. Try. (yes, very silly) OTOH I just wrapped open(2) via
LD_PRELOAD.

My worry is that there can be other custom software depending on the old
behaviour and backing out the change costs nothing.

Andrea