Re: Kernel related StarOffice 5.1a problem

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 19:06:36 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Parto Chobeiry wrote:
>
> >Has anybody encountered the same problem -- and (maybe) found a
> >solution?
>
> Parto, you can apply this patch against 2.2.13:
>
> ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.2/2.2.13/java-proc.gz

It tries to access WHAT? Bloody lusers cannot be bothered to use
%d in sprintf? Sorry. /proc/<pid>/fd/0<whatever> _never_ had been a
documented interface. They already were deep in it with (ab)using glibc
guts. And it didn't teach them? They _deserve_ to lose. Who maintains
StarrOrifice these days, SunSoft? Sheesh...
Andrea, I don't think that kernel should work around the bugs in
_that_. Really. Backwards compatibility is nice, but preserving every
undocumented quirk that nobody sane would use... Sorry, but we really need
an addition to errno.h: EBITEME. Exactly for such cases.