Re: laptops/notebooks and mp3

Erik Mouw (erik@it.et.tudelft.nl)
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:48:42 +0100 (CET)

kees wrote:
> I use a laptop ("TOPLINE 8600") for some work and have put Linux on it.

I don't know that model. If you describe it, it's much easier
to help to solve your problem.

> I found that playing MP3 files (2.0.37 kernel) is almost impossible,
> the sound is interrupted and sometimes the player looses sync and
> produces loud noice.

This sounds more like a misconfigured sound module. Make sure
you use the correct sound configuration, and also that you use
the correct io ports, irq, and dma. Or your system is simply not
fast enough to play MP3 files.

> They seem to throttle the cpu without telling about that.

Can be, I can't judge that without more information.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl