Re: uploads vs downloads

Andi Kleen (ak-uu@muc.de)
28 Oct 1999 09:37:35 +0200

vdb@mail.ru (Dmitry V.) writes:

> I've noticed strange behaviour when doing uploads via modem link.
> If I start some downloads it stops upload process untill all downloads
> finishes. It is 100% reproduceable. Iptraf monitor clearly shows this.
> Is it bug or feature? I use kernel 2.3.20, mtu is set to 552.

<crude theory>

The outgoing acks cause some packets of the upload to be dropped, or
some acks get dropped because they're fighting with the download. TCP
goes into slow start and waits for new incoming acks. The multiple
downloads make it hards for these acks to appear, so the slow start
occurs very slowly and it appears to you that it has temporarily dropped.

</crude theory>

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.