Re: Odd motherboard problems with ASUS P5B

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:12:46 -0800 (AKDT)

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> I've just bought an ASUS P5B motherboard with an AMD K6-II 400MHz, and I'm
> seeing some weird problems.
>
> First, when I try to use /sbin/shutdown to reboot the machine, it properly
> shuts everything down and starts to reboot, but it never makes it. That
> is, the screen goes blank and I can see the FDC and HDC reset (from das
> blinkenlights), but I never see the video BIOS (a Diamond Viper V770) or
> the memory test. If I push the reset button on the case, it sometimes
> works. A full powercycle always works.
>
> So, I checked for a BIOS upgrade. And, there was one. And, suprisingly,
> according to ASUS, I need this upgrade to make the BIOS Y2K compliant. (I
> just bought this thing like 3 weeks ago, and it's not Y2K compliant?!?) I
> used their utility to flash the BIOS, and it seemed successful. However,
> when the kernel booted, it OOPSed when insmoding the module for the
> Ethernet card (a Netgear 10/100 card). The Oops was very consistant and
> repeatable. Downgrading the BIOS back to the old version seemed to the
> Oops, but left me with a non-Y2K non-rebooting system.
>
> Anyone have any idea what's going on? This, BTW, is with a stock RH 6.0
> distribution with all the latest updates as of today.
>
> Matt Dharm

There are also power issues with the P5A and P5A-B with the
faster chips. Depending on the system, failed soft reboots, random
reboots, crashes, IDE fails on boot, etc.

Seems to be an issue with the CPU power regulator going
unstable, I had to get our builders to stop using the ASUS boards for
all K6-3, and K6-2 450 and up units (though ASUS claims they work
fine). Have not seen any issues with the K6-2 400 and the current
revision P5A/B5A-B, though we have seen some of the older revs blow up
with the 400.

Take a look at the Tyan S1590S (AT, UDMA33) and the S1598S
(ATX UDMA33/66) boards, 1M cache, and are happy with the high power
draw K6 units.

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.