Re: access beyond end of device errors in 2.2.13pre18 AND 2.2.5

Martin Schulz (schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de)
27 Oct 1999 13:30:07 +0200

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> Most cases we chased down turned out to be IDE problems, memory
> problems and the like which makes it
> _very_ hard to track down.

Well I do have a similar Problem with LVD Scsi drives (IBM DDRS)
connected to an 7890 Adaptec U2W controller (on board on Asus P2Bs);
Intel Pentium II 400MHz, 128MB RAM. Running kernel 2.2.5-22.

I suspected bad memory, so I changed it with a (similarily working)
module from another machine, but no avail.

I suspected a cable problem so I checked it.

I suspected the attached scanner and disconnected it, but no avail.

I suspected a low power supply and took 2 drives off, but no avail.

Symptoms:
---------
The message occurs only when doing backup on tape (the only heavy IO
situation for that machine).

Oct 27 02:00:21 iwr01 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Oct 27 02:00:21 iwr01 kernel: 08:11: rw=0, want=2078145526, limit=8924076
^^^^^
The device numbers corresponds to /dev/sda11 but this partition did
never exist, fdisk shows correct values.

An e2fsck is needed to fix the filesystem, but things will come back some
days later.

I am a little helpless on this topic, (I will replace the whole
machine but the disks soon, just to be sure of no hardware defects).

What can I do to track the problem down?

Regards,
Martin.

--
Martin Schulz                             schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
Uni Karlsruhe, Institut f. wissenschaftliches Rechnen u. math. Modellbildung