Re: buglet in ext2 sticky bit?

bill@taniwha.org
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:49:09 +1300

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Gabor Lenart wrote:
>
> > > AFAIK a file writable for everyone should be deletable when
> > > +t on the parent dir.
> >
> > I think no. In a directory with rights 0777 everyone remove any file as far
> > as I know. +t for directories make to deletable files in it only by its owner
> > (root can delete though). Correct me please, if I wrong.
>
> You are right. Sticky bit semantics is:
> if directory has sticky bit and
> you are not owner of the directory and
> you are not owner of the inode the link points to
> you are not permitted to remove the link
> otherwise
> permissions are calculated ignoring sticky bit.

Ob fancy permission bits on directories, what does the suid bit do on a
directory? I grok sgid (damn useful on /usr/local/* until a /usr/local
rpm undoes my ch{mod,own} work (I have that section 2775 (?, sgid),
group wheel)), and thanks for the clear expanation of the sticky bit
(1xxx?). I don't have easy access to good unix literature and I was
unable to discover suid's effects on a directory myself.

TIA
Bill

--
Leave others their otherness.