Re: Intel E1000 server gig-card?

Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:06:48 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Only thing to remember is that you technically can't go back (i.e. you
> > can go from BSD to GPL, but not from GPL to BSD). Not to say going back
> > to BSD doesn't happen. Of course most folks don't care as long as it
>
> If you contribute to something that is BSD licensed an you want maximum sharing
> you want to contribute your changes under the BSD license. Then both parties
> can use it.

This works, but this does not looks good to me.

If you start from a BSD licensed software, you can ask the original author
for changing the Linux version of the software to GPL. This has been
accepted without problem by Wolfgang Stanglmeier for my initial port of
the FreeBSD ncr driver to Linux. On the other hand, I have recently moved
the sym53c8xx driver to FreeBSD and changed the license to BSD style for
this new driver.

Each project have had _valuable_ reasons to choose their license. We must
try to respect that decision each time it is possible.
The BSD projects are very embarassed with softwares they are interested in
and that are refused to be moved to BSD style license by the original
authors.
Even if I respect any kind of author's decision, incorporating without
restraints BSD softwares into the Linux kernel for the reasons this does
not affect the GPLed softwares looks like unfairness to me.

Gérard.