Re: /proc/pci unknown devices

Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:41:27 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, David Parsons wrote:
> > Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > backwards compatible for what?
> > People who want to build code that works on 2.0.x, 2.2.x, and 2.3.x.
>
> Which programs depend on /proc/pci ?

User's habits. ;-)

You seem to want to kill /proc/pci.

At a rough approximate, such a table without any king of space
optimization should not be greater than 16KB. Even twice this value does
not look unacceptable bloat to me, given the actual size of any kernel
ready to run for common configurations and common bloatwares we are using
from userland (Netscape, Emacs, Gcc, Perl, Bash and others as the Java
monstrosity really donnot care of sparing these 16KB of memory you seem to
worry about).

If you really want to spare this fiew memory, may-be this information
should be made available as a data file than can be read from the
kernel, from a userland tool, and from some library function as well.

Gérard.