Re: binfmt_aout.c

Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm+eric@ccr.net)
24 Oct 1999 11:58:50 -0500

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> >1. Warnings: I hate getting a printk every 5 seconds.
> > Getting three warnings at boot time to remind me of
> > the fact (which I am well aware of) that there still
> > are many old ZMAGIC binaries, is amply sufficient.
>
> I backported the messages from 2.3.x and I think the point of the messages
> is exactly to remind to to the binary only people to produced ELF
> binaries.

No. The point in 2.3.x was to encourage them not to used ancient a.out formats.
In particular the OMAGIC a.out format, (which all new a.out compiles should produce)
is perfectly fine.

The messages were also put in at the beginning of 2.3 to give people plenty of
warning of the changes. 2.2 was really never supposed to see that code.
Since you asked the point of the messages :)

Eric