Re: corrupt modversions.h built in 2.2.13

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:49:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> If you think "one make per directory" is a Windows phenomenon,
> perhaps you could point me to some large Unix projects whose Makefiles
> *aren't* structured like that.
>
> Because every such project I've ever seen is based on "one make per
> directory".
>
> Please leave off the gratuitous Microsoft bashing. Do you know which
> parts of the kbuild system Microsoft wrote? I do. It's the part with
> the fewest reported bugs.
>
> Meanwhile, on the substantive issue, everybody wants "make -j" to
> work properly. I've identified the bug. If you would like to patch
> it, please go for it.

I came into this thread late. Yesterday I was bit by a corrupted
modversions.h file on a make -j 4. This is the first time I've ever seen
such a thing. Are you saying that the potential's been there all along?

Without getting into an off-topic debate about recursive makes, I'm
wondering if there is any reasonable workaround.

Steve