Re: PATCH 2.3.23.5: ACPI iomap fix

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:29:40 -0400

Andy Henroid wrote:

> --- Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > Attached is a patch against 2.3.23 pre5 which fixes
> > ACPI with regards to iomapping. The warning
> > messages added in pre5 brought to light this
> > bug. This patch works on my K6 w/ ACPI.
>
> OK, so I see your fix with some changes from
> Linus in pre6. It's still wrong for all those
> FACP accesses so I'll send out a fix for that.
>
> Thanks for the portability catch. Also, the
> inline assembly is a pretty glaring problem.
> Guess that should go in a header, but which?

I think the big question is whether or not ACPI will exist on Alpha, or
other non-x86 platforms. Since Athlon and AXP will be sharing
motherboard technology it would not surprise me.

If that is the case, all the direct mem references would need to
eventually be purged from the driver. If the inline assembler is
required, it should probably ifdef'd CONFIG_X86 in a header somewhere if
nothing else.

As an aside, USB is _already_ on AXP, so inline assembler and other
x86-isms in the USB code needs to be examined and compartmentalized, or
purged...

Jeff