Re: seen only once ....

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:56:13 -0300

"Garst R. Reese" <reese@isn.net> said:
> Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl> wrote:
> My kernels here (i686, egcs snapshots, binutils latest version) show an
> unholy appetite for ext2 filesystems (starting around 2.3.16 or so, it
> seems; acute with 2.3.18ac, much less so with 2.3.20. Later kernels just
> don't complete bootstrapping the system, various Oopsen and hangs).
> Symptoms include corrupt files, duplicate blocks with what seem to be
> deleted files, all kind of weird devices with strange permissions, often
> undeletable, showing up in lost+found.
>
> 2.2.13 built with egcs-19991004, binutils-2.9.5.0.16, modutils-2.3.6
> crashes on boot (a lot of Oopsen, and finally a hang). Also eats
> filesystems, it seems. Not yet tried gcc-2.95.1.
>
> Caveat constructor.
> -----------
> Caveat le Fan. Horst, I've built all those kernels with the current
> binutils when they were released (now ...16) and gcc-2.95.1. Your
> problem is almost certainly hardware. Winter is coming on here, so I
> presume summer is heating up there. Teach you i686 to pant.

It is getting colder here now (even though summer is supposed to be getting
nearer), so that isn't an explanation. Besides, the machine does work fine
with other kernels, no unexplained SIG11's. Just a reproducible (very!)
eating of filesystems with certain kernels. Might be the kernel's fault, or
the compiler's. Not the machine's anyway.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl