Re: Confused about RAW devices ...

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:40:28 +0200 (MEST)

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:47:03 +0200 (MESZ), "Dr. Michael Weller"
> <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de> said:

> > A more classical Unix has block and char devices (the first can only
> > write blocks of data, often in a random seek manner, the latter are
> > more like streams of data).
>
> Umm, Unix block devices can write arbitrary bytes of data. Because the
> block device access is buffered, the kernel is able to deal with the
> underlying block structure entirely transparently to the application.
> Raw IO is restricted to entire blocks, however, since it does not have
> the buffer cache to assist it.

I remember from working on Unix over 10 years ago, that block devices
required you write multiples of whole blocks, and would otherwise
return "EINVAL" if you tried to write a partial block or tried to seek
to a non-multiple of the blocksize.

Anyway, Linux allows you to write smaller portions since quite a
while...

Roger.

 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."