Re: SMC-Ultra ethernet sluggishness

Paul Gortmaker (p_gortmaker@yahoo.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:07:43 -0400

Scott G. Miller wrote:

> I have an SMC-Ultra EtherEZ ISA adapter, which operates well most of the
> time. However, after a lot of traffic (maybe a certain amount of data, or
> a certain period of time), performance becomes abysmal. Connections to
> anything anywhere stall for minutes at a time, or die out
> entirely. Transfers, when they work, operate at a 1 or 2 k per second
> rather than the usual 300k. This is not network performance in general.
>
> If I reset the network stack, by bringing eth0 down and removing the
> modules (smc-ultra and 8390), then reinsert them, performance returns to
> normal.
>
> This is on Linux 2.2.13, on an ASUS SMP motherboard, with only one P2-300
> processor (kernel is NOT compiled for SMP). I'm including
> /proc/modules, /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports just in case.

Useful information would also include the driver detection message,
giving whether the card is operating in shared memory or I/O mode,
the output of "cat /proc/net/dev" and any error/warnings reported
by the driver (use "dmesg").

If there is nothing obviously wrong in that then you may need to use
tcpdump to get a better look at what is happening during a slowdown.

Paul.