RE: IP Masq weirdness

Joseph Gooch (mrwizard@psu.edu)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:28:03 -0400

Ermmm. Nope. Now it's completely broken. I ping'd a friend down the hall
from me and had him tcpdump. Now it's not masquerading at all. So i threw
a printk in the ip_forward code, to print out rt_gateway, rt_src, and maddr.
I didn't put the ntohl in so it's all backwards, oh well, i can read.

The first change of your patch is only for unreachables and other specific
ICMP, so i skip it for now, and go to the second change, add my printk. I
left the original line in, inserted a printk, then your new line. From the
printk i see that the chosen maddr by the original line is as before, the
first address ont he device. rt_src is the sheltered IP of my workstation.
rt_gateway is the destination ip of the packet (his computer is on my subnet
so his computer is there, or for world packets it's my gateway router).

So the fix seems a little more involved. And it might not be confined to
masq code. Sounds to me like when the kernel looked up the route it didn't
set the rt_src or something :)