Re: [linux-kernel] mailing list properties

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 01:28:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 cspeare@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Finally someone sees my point. But alas, enough people have called
> it "crap" to make it worthless to discuss further.

I've tried your approach and it simply doesn't work.

Suppose you ask a question on the mailing list and somebody
sends you an answer -- with the [linux-kernel] thing in the
subject -- then you won't read the answer until you wade
through all the messages in the mailing list folder.

The same situation occurs when threads are cross-posted or
messages are cross-posted between mailing lists. And then
the subject changes so you'll have one half of the thread
in one folder and the other half in the other.

Don't think these are hypothetical situations; I've been
bitten by it myself before I discovered the joys of the
Sender: header.

I don't have anything personal against your idea, the only
reason I think it is crap is because it DOESN'T WORK.

regards,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits, more ...

of people. That is its real strength.
--
work at:	http://www.reseau.nl/
home at:	http://www.nl.linux.org/~riel/