Re: [OT] Re: Colour blindness & the Linux Kernel Version History

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:09:57 +0200

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 09:36:55AM +0100, Towers, Tim (London) wrote:
> Funny, I heard the opposite. - remembering back
> to when the BBC Micro was released in the UK.
> and the explanation of why it flew in the face
> of conventional wisdom by providing white writing
> on a black background. Vt100's, DOS windows and
> linux terminals do likewise whilst X11/MS windows
> have the reverse. I expect people want what they're
> used to, and the easiest way to make a "window"
> acceptible as the replacement of a piece of paper
> is to make it look like one.

It depends on the quality of the screen you're looking at. On television
sets, you really don't want black on white for good visual quality, but on
modern monitors (and particularly LCD monitors), black on white is fine.
Having the colour balance set poorly will also have a bad effect, which
would be minimised by using white on black, but I'd much rather just
adjust my monitor :-)

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of