Re: chasing elusive "Trying to free free buffer"

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:20:31 +1000

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:27:54 +0100 (BST),
Tigran Aivazian <tigran@sco.COM> wrote:
>However, a better way of finding the caller (thanks Manfred!) if to use -m
>option of insmod. This shows all the eddresses I need ...

insmod -m is good for testing a single module but its output is

(a) incompatible with /proc/ksyms
(b) only does one module at a time
(c) option -m is only useful for manual loads, not for modprobe
(d) you get no indication when a module is removed.

On the other hand ksymoops 0.7 can build a complete and verified
System.map including modules, especially if you use modutils 2.3 to get
decent /proc/ksyms entries. Try

ksymoops -V -s saved.map < /dev/null

and look at the saved.map file.

I know it is a little confusing to use ksymoops to build a map instead
of having a modutils tool to do it. However the ability for
non-hackers to run ksymoops on a log file without running another
utility first is more important, so ksymoops builds its own map. There
is no point in duplicating the code in a second component so there is
no modutils tool to produce a complete map.