Re: architecture bootup changes..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:35:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> There's a problem that doesn't show up on intel, and that is that
> flush_page_to_ram() is called with inconsistent arguments. Sometimes it's
> a struct page * (mm/filemap.c and mm/memory.c), in other cases it's a
> kernel virtual address (e.g. kernel/ptrace.c, include/linux/highmem.h).
>
> I'm inclined to think it should be a kernel virtual address. Comments?

Ho humm.. I would almost prefer the "struct page" because in theory you
might want to do it without mapping the page at all. But this is
definitely a case where most of the time it's only needed with virtual
caches, so at the same time a virtual address is not necessarily wrong
either.

So my preference would be a "struct page", but if you have a stronger
opinion you can override me with a little argumentation for show, ok?

Linus