Re: architecture bootup changes..

Paul Mackerras (paulus@linuxcare.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:33:25 +1000

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> And some
> things are more "struct page *" based than based on virtual kernel
> addresses, as the high memory support got cleaned up and better integrated
> in the memory management.

There's a problem that doesn't show up on intel, and that is that
flush_page_to_ram() is called with inconsistent arguments. Sometimes it's
a struct page * (mm/filemap.c and mm/memory.c), in other cases it's a
kernel virtual address (e.g. kernel/ptrace.c, include/linux/highmem.h).

I'm inclined to think it should be a kernel virtual address. Comments?

Regards,
Paul.