Re: PATCH 2.3.23 pre 2 compile fixes

Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:11:33 +0200 (MET DST)

A driver bug only affects users that use some particular hardware. So,
backing out an apparently broken patch is not as critical as a kernel bug
that may affect all systems.

My opinion is that a driver bug should not be backed out, given maintainer
being known to be a serious guy, unless the maintainer agrees with, or ask
for that. Anyway, a bug must be fixed and delaying it a long time is a bad
option, in my opinion.

Note, that if it ever appears that the maintainer did the wrong thing, I
trust him to understand how he has been wrong and change the way it will
deliver changes for further updates. A maintainer that did waste time of
users because he delivered broken stuff when this could be avoided is
normally extremally sorry of that, and I am sure Donald has been so if
this happened with some of his driver versions.

Just donnot backout Donald's patches that seems broken and I bet you that
everything will be just fine, or at least not worse that other breakages
that sometimes occur during kernel development.

That's my opinion.

Gérard.