Re: 2.2.13pre17 oops in find_buffer

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
20 Oct 1999 21:39:38 +0200

In article <cistron.7uips5$mdg$1@defiant.cistron.net>,
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> wrote:
>Another oops on the 4-way SMP machine running 2.2.13preX. So far
>it has oopsed in del_timer (2.2.13pre8), select_dcache (2.2.13pre11)
>and find_buffer (2.2.13pre17), and it has just locked up solid quite
>a number of times as well - see the list archives..

Well, I got a reply from Simon Kirby who told me that he had also
seen oopses in find_buffer or select_dcache on certain machines,
and in all cases it had been bad RAM. He _also_ included a small
Linux memory tester that I ran for an hour or so and sure enough,
it found a bit error (0x6c vs 0x2c) so indeed, the box has bad
memory and it is extremely likely that this is the cause of all
the troubles we're having with it.

Somehow if you have bad RAM, it is likely to result in oopses in
find_buffer or select_dcache - perhaps a symptom to remember (I will).

If anyone wants a copy of the memory tester I'd be happy to send
it to you (I'm sure Simon doesn't mind)

Mike.

--
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.