Re: PATCH 2.3.23 pre 2 compile fixes

Donald Becker (becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:21:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Indeed. It would be helpful for Donald as well if he didn't try to
> maintain tens of patches outside the official kernel tree.
> Donald is not the maintainer as far as I am concerned...

In August you rejected all of the then-current updates because they had
visible support for multiple kernel-support. You wanted all backwards
compatibility code removed. Based on that I spent several weeks changing and
testing over a dozen PCI drivers so that the base versions had support for
2.3 only. Now those are changes are rejected.

I spend more than half of my working time working on Linux drivers,
including the time consuming, boring work of answering email and tracking
down usually-spurious bug reports. I've done it in a way that minimizes the
your workload, and makes the updates and new drivers immediately available
to those with stable kernels. And now I find out that you don't consider
me to be involved with the Linux kernel work. (Well, at least that explains
my status with the RedHat IPO.)

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS, becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov