Re: 2.3.23-pre4 x86 64GB RAM changes [HIGHMEM patch] explained a bit

Thorsten Kranzkowski (th@Marvin.DL8BCU.ampr.org)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:14:53 +0000

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 10:50:50AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Thorsten Kranzkowski wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > With 2.3.23pre4 my Alpha AXPpci33 locks up in certain situations. [...]
>
> pre4 on Alpha should not even compile ... The 'HIGHMEM patch' (full PAE
> mode, up to 64GB RAM support on Intel boxes) went into pre4 and it changed
> a couple of VM interfaces. While the most massive changes/cleanups affect
> the x86 tree (obviously), some cleanups reached other ports as well. Here
> is a quick (but probably not full) list of changes that affect the Alpha
> port (and other ports):
[...]
> all of the above should have manifested themselves through compiler
> warnings, no 'silent breakage' should occur due to the highmem patch.

ok - there were indeed some warnings :-)

Sorry, my report wasn't comlete. I totally forgot to mention that this is not
a new bug. I saw it with every kernel since about 2.3.14 that I managed to
compile.

There are actually even more problems:
- serial port autodetection makes serial console unusabele and
setserial segfault (already reported to tytso)
- isdn card not detected (AVM Fritz!PCI)
- Ati Mach64 PCI card not detected in XFree86. Textmode is ok.

curiously the onboard PCI SCSI controller works.

In 2.3.10 this all works fine.

I am not fit enough to debug that on my own but I'll do any tests you
like me to do!

> -- mingo

Thanks for your reply,
Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski            Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |
| Mobile: ++49 161 7210230         Inet: dl8bcu@gmx.net                        |