Re: 2.3.22 and 23pre1 network hangs, .23pre4 beeps forever

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:40:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> I am sorry for not having more detailed information about
> this, but I thought I'd upgrade to 2.3.22pre4, which resulted in
> a kernel that just prints one line, turns on the bell and never
> turns it off. [...]

ok, this are very likely my boot-time allocation changes in pre4. I added
the beep so we know for sure that we are hanging due to a kernel BUG().

a quick test, does it boot (and produce useful messages) if you change
include/asm-i386/page.h's BUG define to only do the printk but not beep
and crash the box? Also, could you send me your .config.

-- mingo