Re: Linux 2.2.13pre18

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:58:11 +0200 (MET_DST)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Rogier Wolff wrote:

> > > In 2.2.14 probably. I don't want to tinker with boot up code everyone
> > > depends on until 2.2.13 is out
> >
> > Alan,
> >
> > The problem, if I remember correctly, is that some kernels end up
> > gzipping exceptionally good and therefore require lots of space during
> > decompression. Wouldn't it be an idea to change the gzip -9 in
> > arch/i386/boot/compressed/Makefile to something like gzip -5 (Or
> > better yet, just gzip)? This will cause a slight kernel size
> > increase, but allows it to decompress in all cases.....
>
> That change is in 2.2.13 pre 18, as I noted yesterday. FWIW, "gzip" by
> itself typically selects compression level 6.

Well, as the post that started this thread clearly stated (by the topic,
and in the post itself) that the kernel in question WAS v2.2.13pre18, the
change obviously didn't work, in fact, the post said that 2.2.13pre17
worked fine while 2.2.13pre18 didn't.

I still think that the heap-size change is necessary, and I have a hard
time seeing any possible problems it could cause.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </