Re: Linux 2.2.13pre18

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:00:07 +0200 (MEST)

Alan Cox wrote:
> > In 2.2.13pre18 it is set to 0x2000, so I changed it and it solved the
> > problem.
> >
> > Could this be changed 'officially' in pre19 ?
>
> In 2.2.14 probably. I don't want to tinker with boot up code everyone depends
> on until 2.2.13 is out

Alan,

The problem, if I remember correctly, is that some kernels end up
gzipping exceptionally good and therefore require lots of space during
decompression. Wouldn't it be an idea to change the gzip -9 in
arch/i386/boot/compressed/Makefile to something like gzip -5 (Or
better yet, just gzip)? This will cause a slight kernel size
increase, but allows it to decompress in all cases.....

Roger.

 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."