Re: [RFC] Per-inode metadata cache.

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 01:01:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

>Data and metadata are completely different. On, say, a large and busy
>web or ftp server, you really don't care about a 1G metadata limit, but
>a 1G page cache limit is much more painful.

Sure I completly agree. It looked you was talking about something
magic related to bigmem that was not possible to do.

The rasonable thought about bigmem (that I just mentioned in
my previous email of this thread) is that it doesn't worth to bloat the
filesystem with kmap as the VM pressure generated by the metadata is
rasonable small.

I never said the opposite. Just left the metadata to live in regular pages
as now. I can't see any problem (you where the ones talking about bigmem
troubles metadata related and I can't see them).

Andrea