Re: crypto and fsck guys.

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:39:51 -0400

From: ebrunet@clipper.ens.fr (Eric Brunet)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:21:30 +0200 (MET DST)

>fsck actually doesn't even know about encrypted data. The encrypt/decrypt
>happens below the level either it or the file system code sees. If you
>tried to fsck the crypted data not the uncrypted loopback I imagine
>e2fsck would think your fs was quite odd however.

It is indeed weird that e2fsck doesn't give up at once before writing
anything.

E2fsck checks a magic number in the superblock. If that number is
incorrect, it will give up immediately. If by some miracle the ext2
magic number got preserved after the encryption, enough of the
superblock should have been scrambled that the superblock sanity checks
should have caused e2fsck to abort with a filesystem unrecoverable
error.

The original bug report was too lacking in useful data that when I noted
it was sent through an anonymous remailer and there was no way I could
ask for clarification, I just bitbucketed it.

- Ted