Re: bootsect.S changes

Gabor Lenart (lgb@oxygene.terra.vein.hu)
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:03:28 +0200

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 08:23:57AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
> > [SNIPPED]
>
> > I can't imagine why. That's like deciding to rewrite the kernel so it
> > doesn't require GCC to build. AS86 was just a TOOL! We try to use the
> > appropriate tool for various purposes when the need arises. The

Using less tools is simplier and cleaner way in MOST cases ...

> > appropriate tool to assemble Intel mnemonics is one that understands
> > Intel. GAS does not. GAS doesn't even know the way Intel assembly
> > should be written, i.e., destination operand first.
>
> IMHO, nasm would have been a much better choice

nasm is a GOOD assembler and we can use it. It hasn't got the so called
AT&T horrible syntax (TM) ... I started to code in assembly a long time ago
on my C64 but I don't understand anything from Linux kernel written in assembly
because of that sily syntax ... It has got many possiblities to do mistake as
well : intel format (which is used by nasm as well) is much cleaner and nice.
However supported CPUs by NASM is limited to x86 which is not too good for
Linux kernel source :(

--
 ---[ LGB/DC ]------------[ University Of Veszprém ]------[ Lénárt Gábor ]---
     "Life : Never ending story"    "Goal : 42"   "Direction : Unknown"