Re: Why is traffic shapper still in 2.3.x?

Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:55:54 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, George Bonser wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Greg Maxwell wrote:
>
> > Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> >
> > > I vote for ifconfig to be obsoleted by iproute. My next KSI Linux
> > > distribution won't use ifconfig at all. I have not made a decision yet
> > > whether to retain the ifconfig binary for compatibility reasons or remove
> > > any trace of it outta the distribution, but chances are that it will be
> > > removed at all...
> >
> > I don't know about anyone else, but I agree with this. I'm looking for
> > an official word though.
> >

> Problem is that ip route does not properly set up IPIP tunnels for me. I
> have to use a combination of ifconfig to create the interface and then ip
> route to finish the job. I can't seem to get it to work with simply using
> the old tools or simply using the new tools, I have to use a combination
> of the two.

Ask Pavel Golubev <pg@gu.net>, he'll explain how to to this :))

BTW, I'd suggest those people who write the HOWTO on the subject to get in
touch with Pavel. His cbq.init is already widely used all over the world and
we do use most of the iproute features in a production environment (we're a
biggest ISP in Ukraine)...