Re: How to extend struct stat?

Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:26:57 +0200

Matti Aarnio wrote:
> Ulrich Drepper (libc guru) wrote:
> > I have asked around in the kernel hacking circles when I had to choose
> > the values and got told that 32 bits are enough for ino64_t. So live
> > with it.
>
> That is your collected opinnion/wisdom for the user-space.
>
> Let kernel, and kernel/user interface (for LFS/64 syscalls)
> handle it as 64-bit entity, and you need to write new wrapper-
> interfaces for them too..
> Thwn when there really comes some case where 64-bit entity is
> needed for USERSPACE, we cross that bridge and change glibc's
> external 'struct stat64' and other places where __ino64_t needs
> to be 64-bit.

Oh well. At this rate user-space and kernel/user interfaces will
continue to be completely different. I was hoping the overhead and
problems due to Glibc "system calls" not actually mapping to kernel
system calls would go away at some point. (With getdirentries it is a
measurable overhead).

-- Jamie