Re: How to extend struct stat?

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:10:37 -0400 (EDT)

Ulrich Drepper writes:
> Jamie Lokier <lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Perhaps this is a bug in Glibc, I don't know. If so, they
>> should change __ino64_t and do the appropriate hacks for
>> binary compatibility with old stuff.
>
> I have asked around in the kernel hacking circles when I had
> to choose the values and got told that 32 bits are enough for
> ino64_t. So live with it.

No. I hope you realize now that it was a mistake to define
kernel-related things without waiting for the kernel implementation.
Many glibc data types are:

1. incompatible with the old kernel API
2. unsuitable as a new kernel API

I hope you have learned to wait for the kernel developers.
Hopefully you have a non-bloat-inducing way to fix this error.

(there are several filesystems that need 64 bits or would work
better with 64 bits: UDF, Reiserfs, NTFS, XFS, NFS)