Re: Speeding up swap

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 00:39:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Kristian Koehntopp wrote:

>data rate of 6 MB/sec under NT and 3 MB/sec under Linux. During
>paging operations heavy seeking is audible.

In 2.2.x the algorithm that allocates swap pages didn't care about
fragmentation and dirty pages had no persistence on the swap space. In
2.3.x instead I made the algorithm to take care of fragmentation like ext2
does for the block-inodes and I also given persistence to dirty anonymous
pages on the swap space. With 2.3.x you shouldn't hear heavy seeking.
Actually to get good performances on 2.3.x you should also apply these two
patches:

ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.3/2.3.22/swap-cache-low-prio.gz
ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.3/2.3.18ac4/trashing-mem-1.gz

Andrea