Re: USB device allocation

Martin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 18:45:33 +0200

danielt@digi.com wrote:
> > You should learn to solve the problems which really arise instead of
> > doing academic exercises.
> >
> OK, I'll bite. Gimme 1024 serial ports. Yesterday.
> That is 2048 devices (standard).
> Easy with devfs, pretty convoluted with dynamic major numbers.

? This is an academic exercise. You are not going to tell there is such
a box
out there? BTW if you didn't hear it before /dev/cuxx's are obsolete.

> Now: remember what the permissions were _supposed_ to be on all
> of them after you did your "boot -r" Solaris style and lost them all.

Easy, very easy indeed:

~# ls -l /dev/* > /tmp/remember (somewhere on runlevel 6 or S)

and after reboot (somewhere on runlevel 1):

~# cat /tmp/remember | my_very_best_awk_code

> Real world.

BTW. The code in my_very_best_awk_code will remain very simple under
the assumption that there is no great variation between the different
serial ports.

--Marcin