Re: VM addressability i386

Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:44:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 jegolf@fellows2-537.az05.bull.com wrote:

> I would like to know for any particular kernel version where in the kernel
> header files the virtual memory addressability is defined.
> Rubini's book suggests that user addresses are in the 0-3GB range and that
> the kernel resides higher than that. I'd like to make sure that this is
> not something that is changing.
> Jared Egolf

Here are user addresses.......

int global;

main()
{
int local;
printf("main() at %p\n", main);
printf("Global data at %p\n", &global);
printf("Local data at %p\n", &local);
}

main() at 0x8048488
Global data at 0x8049620
Local data at 0xbffff794

You could also look at _init, __libc_init_first, _start, _etext, _edata,
__bss_start. They are all global. Very few programs are executed without
using the 'C' runtime library so these are most informative.

If, at the user-level, the user has to know where the code executes,
the code is broken by definition.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
**** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ****
Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).